Coming to Myanmar, we were very uncertain about how much money we would need. Talks about black market exchange rates, high entrance fees and expensive transportation costs caused us to set our budget way too high. As it turns out, we’ve been spending about half, which is fantastic!
To give you an idea about prices in Myanmar, we compiled a short list of things you may want or need.
Here’s what you can get in Myanmar for around a buck:
- 1 glass of iced coffee
- 4 packs of local cigarettes or 1/2 pack of Marlboros
- 17 days worth of Doxycycline
- 10 samosas (fried pastries filled with meat or vegetables)
- 4 liters (1 gal) of drinking water
- 1 can of Coca Cola or 1 liter of Myanmar Star Cola
- 3 small sheets of gold leaf
- 1 high-grade pomelo
- 2 Bamar curry dishes including all the side dishes
- 1 hour of Internet usage (tourist price) or 2.5 hours (local price)
- 125 ml (4.2 oz) of Listerine
These prices are after the black market exchange. If you were to change your dollars in a bank, you’d be paying $170 for each of those items. Ouch!