ContemporaryNomad.com Blog

Snake-festation

“Thomas, I think I just saw a rat!” I screamed as I squinched my eyes up to see through the mosquito net, “Something is moving in the rafters.”

Snake #1 stares down at me

Thomas was busy brushing his teeth in our super-glam outdoor jungle bathroom and I was too lazy to look for myself, so I just ignored the movement until the distinct slithering on the wall became too obvious to ignore. Damn, I thought to myself, another snake.

But I was wrong, it was two snakes. Two four-foot green snakes with beautiful red patterning along their backs. Clearly, Mother Nature had it in for us since I called her a bitch.

We brought in reinforcements – or more precisely, an old man with a long bamboo stick. I had had my fill of snake chasing in Koh Tarutao, so this time I thought I would let the “professionals” handle the problem. I moved outdoors to our terrace to take in the river views, a troop of long-tailed macaques monitored my every move, hoping for food.

In the background, I could hear the old man beating the hell out of something and Thomas yelling, “Over there. No there, there.”

Snake #2 turns its back on me

Suddenly, a dazed snake flew into the foliage behind our jungle bathroom. Oh well, I thought, that’s the last time I shower back there.

Twenty more minutes of courageous cries, thwacking bamboo beats, and strategizing between Thomas and the old man. I communed with nature.

And finally, the second snake flew out the front door into the tree next to our bungalow. It disappeared.

Thomas and the old man celebrated their victory over nature. Unfortunately, in their moment of primal joy, they forgot to close the door to our bungalow and a large male macaque raced in to search for food. Mother Nature has a wicked sense of humor, too.

Mama macaque, baby, and I listen
to the ruckus in our bungalow

Thomas and the old man returned to battle and I sat outside with the mother macaque and her baby waiting for the whole hilarious scene to play itself out. Predictably, the terrified male macaque ended up in the rafters and decided to play hard to get. After another ten minutes of melodrama, the macaque shot out of our room and Thomas and the old man reemerged with a THIRD four-foot snake with the same beautiful red markings.

Oh my god, THREE four-foot snakes in our tiny bungalow. That has to be some kind of record. And, how long had they been in there with us??? I apologize, Mother Nature, I apologize.

——–

Carrie Ann, this post is dedicated to you. Since you asked for a picture of the snake in Tarutao, I actually thought to get my camera and document the drama.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Topics: Humor, Thailand, Wildlife | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Snake-festation”

• avatar Alicia C.
    May 12th, 2011 at 4:28 am

LOL! I would have been terrified! Beautiful snake btw!

• avatar Lisa Nunn
    May 13th, 2011 at 7:31 pm

What a great story. Even while brushing your teeth you lead adventurous, death-defying lives.

Wow, am I boring.

Oh wait, yesterday there was a big moth flying around in my bathroom. And it was dark outside too. At the same time: darkness AND a moth. That’s right.

• avatar Tony
    May 14th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Moth fangs can be deadly :)

I’ve become a little ophidiophobic (there’s our word for the day) since this experience. Seriously, after our snake experience in Koh Tarutao, then Khao Sok, and we keep running into snakes in the wild as well. Enough already.

I like nature, but not in the rafters.

• avatar carrieannmarco
    May 16th, 2011 at 4:57 am

Oh my gosh! I cannot believe those snakes! Marco would have had a mini heart attack I think! When we were in Thailand, I met an older man who was showing me little 2 week old kittens. I asked him where the mother cat was and he said, “Boa ate Mommy!” Then, we saw a boa skin drying out on the fence. I felt faint.
    Amazing pictures and kudos to Thomas and the man for getting them out! ;-)

• avatar Tony
    May 16th, 2011 at 6:50 am

This was just for you :)

• avatar Vern
    June 20th, 2011 at 9:23 am

Enjoying your writing about Thailand – you’re right on about Phi Phi. But the snakes, no. Those are paradise tree snakes – not harmful at all. Beautiful snakes as your photo shows. They’re rather rare of all the tree snakes. They are also called “flying snakes”. They can glide VERY far from a jump off a tree. Anyway, they eat geckos and don’t eat people.

Cheers…

• avatar Kate
    November 30th, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Hi Tony! That is scary!! I heard about all the wildlife on Ko Tarutao, but still decided to book a trip in two weeks!

But now I am wondering, is it safe- especially alone?!

• avatar Tony
    December 1st, 2012 at 8:28 am

I wouldn’t worry about snakes too much. We seem to be particularly good at attracting snakes, but I think it’s more of a luck thing. Even the people at the lodge seemed surprised that we had three at one time. I think it’s safe enough. But it never hurts to have a mosquito net, that helps keep a lot of unwanted stuff out. :)

• avatar Kate
    December 4th, 2012 at 12:07 am

Thanks so much! Will do! :)